[3830] TBDC TF4M Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 18 08:20:10 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: TF4M
Operator(s): TF4M
Station: TF4M

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: HP85fp

Total:  QSOs = 81  Total Score = 1,407

Raw Score = 469 , claimed  QRP 469x3 = 1407

Due to health issues, I decided to take part in the Stew Perry with a casual
QRP effort.

5 thunderous watts from my K3 into 700 meters of coax going to the Arctic King,
complemented with 8 Beverages and 30dB of preamplification.

See the King:  http://tf4m.com/archives/2992

Conditions seemed poor, despite promising conditions the days leading up to the
contest, band was very noisy, not a signal anywhere stronger than a 579 during
the entire period.

Despite bombarding some of the stronger stations with my massive signal, I had
to give up on many of them...not even ? in return.   Some stations seemed to
have their keyers on without any break for listening, impossible to even send
my call sideways - perhaps they had actually fallen asleep - I almost succumbed
myself at 0300 AM.

Others would answer on the first call.   Seems that there is some lack of
respect for the Top Band.

Top Band is all about reception, not only transmit power.  This is why I like
the Stew Perry event, it rewards those able to make the longest DX contacts.

Highlight of the event was being called by Jack, VE1ZZ.

Heard KH7X and ST2AR and several JA stations.

I look forward to taking part in the next event - with HIGH Power.

QRP - Never Again...

73 de Thor, TF4M
http://tf4m.com/