[3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 18 09:03:51 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2TW, K2XT, N200, W2GD
Station: W2GD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 13:45

Total:  QSOs = 647  Total Score = 3,094

Club: Frankford Radio Club

We used the Stew as another tune-up for the 2012 CQ160 CW since several of our
regular crew were busy with seasonal family activities. We tried out a few
antenna changes and had fun just being together.  It was a little odd with no
snow on the ground this year.

Since the ARRL 160 two weeks ago, two work parties enabled us to we restrung
the West beverage,  made some changes to the NE TX antenna, and we tried to
resolve problems we're having with a short RX vertical.  The West beverage
replacement was a complete success, the NE TX antenna changes seem to have
improved how our vertical beam array tunes (we increased the spacing between
the DE and Reflector), but we're still at a loss why the short vertical isn't
working like it did the past two years....but we have six more weeks to figure
it out.  Not having diversity reception working correctly clearly cost us a
bunch of contacts.

Our plan was to operate from local sundown to local sunrise, with an hour or so
off when the rate dropped in the deep night period.  We were hearing EU more
than an hour before sundown. A good sign we hoped.

Looking back now, the best conditions and activity level from FM29LL were the
first few hours following local sunset.  Signals from EU were never very loud,
and the activity level seemed less than recent years (finding a clear spot to
CQ was never a problem) but we expected this as the sunspots increase.  There
was no signal enhancement at EU sunrise, and conditions to the west were at
best just so so, although we seemed to experience fewer "CQ in the Face"
situations.  No VK, no ZL, no JA, not a peep.  We heard the 8Q9 for maybe 1
minute at his sunrise but no QSO. Several KH6 and KL7 QSOs were made, thanks
guys.  Our best DX contact was once again UU7J who we worked in our second hour
of operation.

Its clear the contest being before Christmas weekend, immediately following the
ARRL 10M, and on the same weekend as the 9A event thinned out the participant
pool noticeably.  The calender isn't very cooperative in 2012, so maybe we'll
have to suffer this contest dilution until 2013.  The best STEW participation
seems to occur when it falls on a weekend between Christmas and New Years.

Thanks again to our WYRS-FM hosts, to K9RS for his equipment support and to
everyone who called in this weekend. Special congratulations to the N0NI multi
team for their terrific effort.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.  CU on the radio during the CQ160
CW next month.

73,

John, W2GD,  for our 160 TEAM.

QSL via LOTW