[3830] TBDC K9YC Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 18 10:50:12 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

Total:  QSOs = 205  Total Score = 962

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I'm sure I worked some low power and QRP guys, so the final score will
be higher. NO3M, running QRP, made it out here from near Pittsburgh, and a
couple of my TN buddies sounded like they were LP.

DX was RA0, three JAs, KV4FZ, PJ2T, P40TA, KH2/N2NL, and FM5CD.

I gave up early  -- as much as I love the format of the Stew, it just doesn't
have the critical mass needed to make it fun. I hit it for the first 40 minutes
in the morning to work what was left of the AS opening, then a couple of hours
after dark, and quit around 8 pm when it slowed to a crawl. Went back out the
the shack just before midnight, ran for about an hour, and it had again slowed
to a crawl, and I quit around 1 am.

All this event needs is a LOT more participation, but it needs it very badly.

Just before the contest began, I discovered that the DXE Beverage preamp had
died, so I had to patch around it. Discovered that the K3 has more than enough
gain to run without it. Also discovered that there's no schematic in the DXE
user manual. Ditto for their other Beverage products. No excuse for that,
especially at the prices they're charging, and I'm pissed. On the positive
side, the transistors have visible 2N numbers.

73, Jim K9YC