[3830] TBDC K5AF Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 18 13:04:04 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STx - EL-09

Total:  QSOs = 96  Total Score = 320

A great test of the K2AV counterpoise.  I think the consensus is that conditions
were better for ARRL than for this Stew.  With that assumption, I would say that
the FCP equals or exceeds my 11 50' radials in the yard with a similar Inverted
L.  Europe neither heard nor worked, but I missed the prime time around their
sunrise.  For some reason, I usually have some difficulty working Herb, KV4FZ,
but not this time, worked on the first call.

Overall, I believe that the FCP is a very viable and stealth-friendly,
XYL-friendly, and easily deployable alternative to a ground radial system.  It
was very easy to get up and running, just needed to keep it a few inches from
my fence, otherwise it becomes sensitive to the rain when the fence gets
waterlogged.  Guy, K2AV, has been very helpful with any questions.  I'll tweak
it some more before CQ160 and will give a more detailed report then.