[3830] TBDC W7RH Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 18 17:20:41 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W7RH
Operator(s): W7RH
Station: W7RH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 237  Total Score = 1,863

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Another Stew Perry Top Band DX Contest is complete. I managed into the remote
site under cover of freezing temperatures and 10 inches of new snow Saturday
morning. Made a quick check and took a 4 hour nap.

Conditions looked favorable, low solar activity with quiet geomagnetic
activity. Solar wind put-zing along at ~260km/sec. Hearing nice EU signals on
band 2 hours before darkness. Activity was definitely down and my operating was
pierced by occasional precipitation static pushed by 20 MPH wind. Unfortunately
this year was like a turtle race. Almost reminded me of my early days on Top
Band in CQ 160 or ARRL 160 where you would spend hours to score <2000 points.

It can't be all that bad. Still had two G station in the log for EU which is my
measure of performance. I still had fun and it makes me feel like a trooper to
go into the wild in the middle of Winter. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

See you all in CQ 160 CW next year, God willing.

73

Bob, W7RH

For those who wonder. Station is solar battery powered running a TS480. Antenna
is a hybrid parasitic array of five short 44ft elements allowing 6 directions
plus OMNI. No separate RX antennas are used. :)