[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 19 10:56:09 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S.V.I.

Total:  QSOs = 378  Total Score = 3,533

As always the Stew Perry Top Band Distance Challenge is the greatest.  The fact
that you are driven to scrape out of the noise even the weakest USA station,
since they could be QRP and worth as much as an European, makes this a true
"challenge" for all participants. I wanted at least 500 contacts as my goal but
even though the calls seemed constant, while spending most of the contest on
1822Khz, I probably would have done better with some S&P. However, the few
times I did S&P I only ran across stations already worked. It seems that more
stations in the TBDC are looking for the higher pointer or the new one and
unlike the ARRL affair over a week ago you don't have an endless hoard of CQ
machines every 100hz across the band.

I was able to get 60 Euros and some 20 pointers that way (assuming all were HP)
but as soon as K6SRZ broke through from the west coast I realized that because
of my easterly distance from the U.S. Continent at 64.7 deg. WL that my west
coast US contacts gained me nearly as much as Western EU ones.  My N/E and N/W
beverage selection, which is on a 12 position passive TV station old Dynair
video monitor switch, was in constant use, on the weakest of signals to get
them into the log. This push button panel is right above the CW paddle but
requires significant finger pressure to change RX antennas compared to the
paddle.  Fortunately my left hand did most of the function keys for CW. During
the contest I realized my IC-746 Pro was on the operating table unused since I
was on the new IC-7410 and how easy it would have been to setup a dual RX audio
configuration for simultaneous US West Coast and Europe with proper level
controls. I could have also used this on two of the EU Beverages(N, NNE, NE,
E)to deal with QSB and pattern shifting that often occurs during a single
hour.

Let me interject as often as I can that the TBDC (The Stew) really makes it as
thrilling to work west coast USA as working Europeans. No other contest gives
this kind of fairness to stations located 3000 miles apart on the other side of
the fruited plain separated by two mountain ranges.  In short the TBDC is
"King". Or as Forrest Gump was often quoted..its "like a box of
chocolates...you never know what your gonna git."

The most unusual moment was when Merv K9FD/KH6 was amazing breaking through on
my N/W Beverage and when I switched to my 900 foot West Beverage he was as
strong as most West Coast U.S. Stations if not a bit stronger.

Set up:

Icom IC-7410
Drake L-7
TX Ant 85 foot top loaded Rohn 45 30 Radials, on #12 THHN ground most over
100'
RX Antennas 600' single wire Beverages, Four 2 wire Reversible (2 DX-Eng and 2
KD9SV with WD-1A wire)
DX-Eng RTR-1 TX-RX control for Icom Radio allowing RX on separate bank via 12
position switch.

(And finally)
Large restaurant dispenser of Rep. Dom coffee which kept me working till
sunrise after having to work all day Saturday till sunset.