[3830] TBDC VY2ZM Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 20 02:36:59 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): VY2ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: PEI

Total:  QSOs = 329  Total Score = 1,000

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This was a 95% search and pounce operation.  Vy little "running" because most
people just do not hear QRP CQ entreaties.  K3ZM said it well I think on this
topic.....!!  Many don't hear you either when you do S&P.  It's part of the
game for sure - it humbles you most of the time.... Couple of observations:

1) Many good operators often did not hear me when I called them initially.
Some I kept coming back to now and then.  As condx changed, many of them did
hear me eventually after 1-3 hours of repeat attempts as I rolled across them
again and again - W9RE/K4BAI/K9CT - (it was just a function of condx & local
noise as these guys all know their DOUGHNUTS!!).

2) Merv K9FD/KH6 nearly made me fall out of my chair when he called me - and
his signal here was 599+++ when he did.....WHO IS THAT MAN?????

3) I found quite a few CQ/QRP stations that I called and called and called.
EU1AA was one - never managed to get his attention.   I chased GM4AFF all night
who was also QRP and became his FINAL qso in the contest at his sunrise peak.
It is really interesting to see what can actually be heard & worked using QRP -
as long as the QRG is clear.

4) TF4M has some great ears because Thor heard me after only a short time -
kudos to the Arctic King!

5) There were a few really standout signals most of the night long - kudos to
DL6FBL, DJ0MDR, G4AMT, G3BJ, OL1A, SN7Q etc. These guys were heard on the left
coast as well I think....

6) My vote for "best ears" is a split decision - UU7J who copied me almost
immediately - and RA4LW whom I worked a bit later without too many attempts.

Score to be determined by the Boring Amateur Radio Club - I used the CT VHF
Sweepstakes as my logging program and Lew and Tree can determine the rest.

Postscript:  John G3XRJ sent me an MP3 file last night that I will ask WW2DX to
put up on the VY2ZM.com website later this week.  We ran some tests on 1810.2kHz
at QRP, QRPP and QRPPP levels at 2145z last night - with G3XRJ/ON4IA/SM7BIC and
IV3PRK doing the listening.  The signal levels John recorded are similar to
what I was hearing from GM4AFF, TF4M and EU1AA.  Later OK2BUX called in with 5w
and was quite good copy.

Season's Greetings to all - It's time after something like 8 contest weekends
to spend some quality time with the family.

73 JEFF VY2ZM

K1ZM at aol.com