[3830] TBDC WB3CQM Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 20 12:12:25 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: WB3CQM
Operator(s): WB3CQM
Station: WB3CQM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: PA

Total:  QSOs = 13  Total Score = 101

I was looking forward to the 2011 Stew Perry CW Challenge . This would be my
first attempt  and so in preparation  I increased the number of radials to my
65 foot T from 44 to 62 130 foot radials . I also spent several days laying out
a new Beverage and got that up and running in time. 1050 feet @ 50 degrees
towards Europe.I now have 4 Beverage in 4 directions. Radio is a Icom 746Pro
with 100 watts.  I was really excited to see the contest start.

First qso was with W2GD and I hit enter before I put the grid in. Did not know
how to undo my mistake on WrightLog  . The second contact was with KU2M. At
that point I knew it was over for me and I basically  quite. I then reverted
back to my old self and just wanted to listen and compare signals on the
different antenna. I searched and pounced and tuned looking  for Europe
stations,as well as  other dx the rest of the night. Some Dx I called and other
stations I did not.I sat there on a few stations a long time waiting for their
signal to come up before I would call.  Mostly I  tuned and listed to the
contest ops.

DX stations worked were S59ZZ / 403A / FM5CD / OL1A / OK2W / SN7Q / KV4FZ /
DL6FBL / VE3CUI

I discovered the 1000 foot Beverage opened up a new world of listening and I am
very happy with its performance. I had lots of fun in the Stew Perry and
hopefully this will motivate me to try harder next time.

I admire the speed some of you send type and log a qso. Sure takes a special
skill with lots of patients.

73 JIM/WB3CQM