[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Feb 10 23:48:07 PST 2011

                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Feb 11

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:   5      4
   80:  16     12
   40:  19     15
   20:  12      7
Total:  52     38  Total Score = 1,976

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Today was my 67th birthday, so I was pleased to break the 50 barrier again
before dashing out the door right after the NS and driving up to South San Jose
to rendezvous with Marsha/KE6BEQ who was treating me to B-Day dinner at a Steak
House we ate at on one of her birthdays (my treat then :^)

The day has started with a freebie breakfast courtesy of my ham pals Jim/W6SC
and Brian/KE6SVX at a cool local Retro diner.  Then to Home Depot to buy more
POSTED-NO TRESSPASSING signs for the Locust Peak property which #&^! vandals
had trashed.  Imagine my surprise when my next stop was the full service car
wash (a b-day treat to myself), where I handed the clerk my VISA card to rack
up a token few more airline miles), only to hear here say after looking me up
on the confuzer: 'Oh, today is your birthday...you get a free car wash!"  Gotta
love those confuzers when they work right :^)

After dropping off recycling boxes/bags and a stop at the cemetery to pay my
respects to my parents, it was off to the beach/ocean about 40 minutes over the
hills.  Absolutely stellar polo shirt and shorts WX that ranged from 63 to 68
over on the coast.  I was in Beach Bum Paradise with blue skies, a smooth ocean
and slight breeze that felt great while just hanging out slumming.

One of my stops on the coast was another favorite - The Pixie Deli (their sign
says NO Shirt-No Shoes-No Problem).  Had an 807 and half a tuna sandwich
instead of the usual Locust meal as didn't want to spoil my dinner later
{SIGH}

Finally got home with hopes of grabbing at least a half hour nap before hitting
the shower and then the NS.  Ten minutes into my 'Beauty Sleep' the tree climber
called about work on Locust Peak this Saturday.  So much for the anticipated nap
;-(

I was very surprised at some of the LOUD signals on 20m tonight, and there were
some still a few at 0237 UTC but most folks had QSY'd to 40m.  I lost several
minutes during the 20 to 40 and 40 to 80 transitions, and more time when I had
to QRT the logger and restart due to an erratic keying problem that developed.

All in all it was a good day and night, EXCEPT, for some #&^! Rubber Clocking I
heard going on at the end.   Each week just before the NS I set my confuzer
clock to WWV, and the logger displays the hours, minutes AND seconds. Tonight,
Tom/W7WHY just before 0300 UTC.  I responded (thus initiating the QSO) with
several seconds stil remaining before 0300 UTC as I was watching the logger
clock like a Hawk.  We completed the QSO a tad after 0300 UTC, and the entire
transaction was therefore legitimate.  Not so with some Rubber Clockers I
heard.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALIBRATE THEIR CLOCKS TO WWV EACH WEEK BEFORE THE NS AND
ADHERE TO THE END TIME RULES IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE INTEGRITY OF THE NCCC NS
(or use an atomic clock with seconds displaying).  If you call a station in the
last few seconds but he does not start sending your call B-E-F-O-R-E 03:00:00,
THIS IS A RUBBER CLOCK QSO AND DOES NOT COUNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thee Grand Exalted NS-Meister may wish to confirm (or deny) this as a NS fact.

73 & Tnx for the Q's & Mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust