[3830] NA Sprint SSB N5DO LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 13 05:49:44 PST 2011

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - February

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX

---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I agree with the following from K6LL's post:

"Propagation was poor, participation was low, and we all had to scrounge
contacts from non-participants. It was a pitiful scene.  I think it's time to
let the SSB Sprint pass into history."

I would modify it somewhat -- it is time to let the SSB Sprint pass into
history, or fix it so it has decent participation.

Participation was terrible.  When 0000Z arrives in a CW Sprint you can hear the
band explode into activity.  Last night there was nothing -- for the first
minute I was frantically tuning around, not hearing anything and wondering if I
had the time or suggested frequency wrong.  With two hours to go I moved to 80M,
definitely not my best band, because I could not find anyone new to work on 40M.
 In the last 30 minutes I only made 10 contacts, and 5 of those were on 40M
where I was able to find people who were not really in the Sprint, but got
involved in passing out a few contacts.  The QSO numbers I received from 7 of
the last 10 contacts were: 7, 3, 2, 8, 2, 1, and 9.  Obviously
non-participants.

Everyone was working the participants in the LA and NH QSO parties.  And they
don't move after their QSO, they just sit there and call CQ.  Hardly the spirit
of the Sprint.

The CW Sprint is intimidating to many contesters:  the high speeds and the
frantic pace cause "deer in the headlights" moments that many of us have
experienced.  Perhaps that same perception exists with regard to the SSB
Sprint.  But the SSB Sprint is a different animal.  Many contesters, especially
LP contesters, would find the SSB Sprint to be exhilarating.  It is not
dominated by the same few big gun stations that set up camp up and down the
band and turn on the CQ machines.  You can get on and operate.  Lose too many
"jump balls"?  Call CQ -- someone will hear you, work you, and then you move
and call CQ again.

Experienced CW Sprinters seem to look down their noses at the SSB Sprint.  But
they would enjoy it if they gave it a chance.  It also helps to get the rhythm
of the Sprint down, and will make for less "deer in the headlights" moments.

Somehow we need to collectively build the participation in this contest, or let
it die quickly rather than slowly (and painfully).