[3830] RTTY WPX AD1C SOAB(TS) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 13 17:41:56 PST 2011

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: CO

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM IC-7600 (100W) (new)
Antenna:   HyGain AV-640 multi-band vertical
Software:  WriteLog 10.84D on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Interface: microKEYER (FSK)

Twelve years, 2000 miles and countless sunspots ago, I made my first RTTY QSOs
in the 1999 CQ WPX RTTY contest.  I was off the air in 2007 and 2008, and I
missed 2010 due to travel, but this contest is still a sentimental favorite for
me.  This year was my biggest effort since 2002, when I made the same number of
QSOs, but scored 50% higher due to living closer to all the 3-pointers in
Europe.

Over the holidays, I replaced the operating desk (no more folding table) and
the computer (2.8 GHZ P4 -> 2.4 GHz Intel Q6600) and last week I replaced the
ICOM IC-756  series radios with a new IC-7600.  This is the best radio I have
ever used for RTTY, the 250 KHz RTTY filter was PERFECT.  I am using a new
sound card as well (SoundWave 7.1) and it seemed to do a stellar job.
Unfortunately, the monitor is up high enough now (over the radio, rather than
next to it) that I can't see the critters out my window anymore.  This needs
some more thought.

This was a part-time and piecemeal effort.  I got on when I could, but operated
much more Sunday than Saturday.  I didn't really run until Sunday afternoon,
when I had two long and decent strings of 1-pointers (but lots of new
prefixes), both on 20 meters.

My best QSOs were all on Saturday:  CT3DZ at 1537z on an otherwise dead 10
meters; ST2AR on 15 meters, and 7Z1SJ on 20 meters for an all-time new DXCC
entity from Colorado.  I also worked a couple of loud OH8s on 15 meters Sunday
afternoon long after the band had closed to the rest of Europe.  I hardly
worked any JAs on 20 meters, but did work some on both 40 and 15 meters.

My biggest surprise was not finding Don AA5AU until the second-to-last hour of
the contest.  Usually he finds *me* with his second radio.

Thanks to everyone who got on the air.  I logged many calls I did not
recognize.