[3830] RTTY WPX KB9OWD SOSB40 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 13 18:36:02 PST 2011

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SOSB40 LP
QTH: WI

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Didn't have time for an all out effort, so did something that I don't believe I
have before, a single band effort.  So, I did single band 40, low power.  I
have never done much RTTY and still have alot to learn.  However, in reviewing
the WPX RTTY website prior to the contest, I saw the 9th call area record for
SOSB 40 LP was 2,940, so thought if nothing else, I could claim a new record
pending it holds for the time being :)!

Suprisingly, everything talked well at the start.  This was my first outing
with N1MM and I found it a breeze once I got used to it.  After a bit, I was
able to operate with our 6 week old newborn sleeping on my chest and hold him
with my left hand and run stations with the mouse in my right hand, talk about
ease!  This also made for some nice pictures!!

My goals were simple....  learn more, put N1MM through its RTTY paces a bit,
set a new record, hit 100,000 points and have fun.  My antenna here at home is
a G5RV up about 20 feet at the ends, so needless to say, I don't hear alot of
DX so 1 pointers and as many mults as possible to hit 100K was needed.

As for learning more, I did.  I was really happy with the filtering I played
with in the contest and felt at ease at the end (at least alot more than at the
start).  I put N1MM through the paces and as I said earlier, got real
comfortable with it.  Was impressed at how easy it really makes it.  Set a new
record, that I did and then some (at least for now).  100,000 points, yup...
have fun, for sure!  So, mission accompolished!

As a toping, I had a nice run of the USA and Europe the last hour.  This is
pretty unheard of on 40 from home noting the previously stated antenna.  Had
about a dozen EU call in in the last hour including I, F, OK, CT, DL and SP.
Ended the last 30 seconds with 4O3A, a 6 point new mult, good way to end!

I also wanted to finish off Triple Play on LOTW.  I have really stalled at this
after a quick start and need IA, ME, MI, NV, RI and WV on RTTY to finish it up.
Well, in doing some checking, several of each state worked so we shall see, but
just may have made it!

In addition, I had plenty of free time for new dad duties, made it to church
Saturday night, took my wife out for dinner afterwards, ran errands Sunday
afternoon etc.  Also had time to participate in SSB Sprint for the team
Saturday night.

See you in the next one!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD