[3830] RTTY WPX IQ1RY M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 14 07:12:40 PST 2011

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: IQ1RY
Operator(s): I1BEP IK1HXN IK1RQT IK1SPR IW1AYD IW1FNW IW1QN IZ1LBG
Station: IQ1RY

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Bra

   40: 1184

The 2011 operating time for the WPX RTTY is gone. Just few hours from that and
we are still excited by the event. As anybody well know here RTTY contesting is
a unique experience, by any means. This WPX was another well trow stone for all
the team.
Now is time for the post Contest jobs, somewhat hardly at homes, without all
those friends we meet on air. But fist of all, TNX to all!
Ours team, IQ1RY, enjoyed a lot the whole event, since the start, moving trough
each phase as we lived all those here together looking outer to ours world.
There went the time when something/anything happened and we, all together, made
decisions and changes. Operators abruptly waked up for some power outage and DB
failure, solar flares that shutdown bands, hours with  bleeping signal coming
from US and the related RUN's times. This list isn't complete, we have had time
to time great life events, operators joking as only a RTTY could permit, we
ordered some  meals thought the radio with friends OM taking care of us pour
souls, the coffee machine that shutdown down the main power two times (It's
getting old as us?), the long morning stay on 40m in the Saturday, no way to
have decent RUNs otherwise. All that small life events that glued the team
together, so we went through a two days march against the propagation, power
outages, logger problems, PC HW/SW snakes. Particularly the propagation was
quite flimsy on Saturday, great on Sunday but with a major solar flare event in
the middle evening just after ours sunset.
As anybody reading here could understand we went smoothly but firmly trough the
whole WPX, having some shortages time to time but making what we think and hope
is ours best slice of a great event as the WPX RTTY.
The things was quite in control of all of us, all the bands, out of 10m from
here, went in almost good to great shapes, up and down. Having the 20m opened
until later on Saturday saved ours life. Having EU's on 40/80m also helped a
lot. There was a large wall of RTTY stations on each band and was not so easy
to find a hole, sometimes we have had to punch as other runners went on our
same small hole, but things went almost smoothly looking from this side. Some
observed signals seemed a little bit too large or, well, richest of meanings.
IQ1RY was manned by almost the same small bunch of operators as for any other
RTTY contest we do. Somewhat largest this time has we have done the WPX in the
M2 style. We don't know if anybody out of here could manage to recognize each
team operator from any other, it's quite difficult with RTTY. But we well
recognized each other team component trough the whole 48 hours WPX. We went
discussing about the logger to be used since the end of the ARRL roundup, N1MM
was the choice in stars and stripes, with some grayed areas that we managed or,
simply, worked out. Some workaround or changes are to be done, as to get better
M2 and operation control together.
We all payed a lot more attention to the logging job, right callsigns, right
numbers and the right places where to put all those. Somewhat slowing the whole
turnaround, sorry for who waited but thanks for the bunch of waiters.
LOGTHENGRAB was more easy than log LOGTHENPOP for inexperienced operators, time
to wait to get 2/3 callsigns in the stack windows are the same, but time the
pushing operations needed at ours rates wasn't paying. BTW, all the US
operators went up like they could listen each others, that wasn't, but appeared
as it was: having each one well on the stack like they got a ticket with a
precise timestamp within to call, not to cover each other.

As all the team went trough the whole event with each well deserved personality
of  any single operators. Just some word for the IQ1RY team operators, hereby
sequentially presented, but not by any order.
We would like to thanks, with the whole list permission, and all of you that
signed a QSO with IQ1RY in WPX RTTY but not only:
the silent contester that growth the setup as a child but share it with us;
the youngster as the apparently frantically key smasher;
the seasoned and irreducible one, as a QSO# cruncher;
the experienced middleman that lifted really heaviest stuffs;
the great contester that equalized the whole thing;
the RTTY man that operated dissecting the bands to gain each point;
A particular appreciation we should have to the small bunch of OM that support
all of us screamers, punchers and keyboard players, with theirs daily efforts
that spans from hard works to borrowing theirs precious equipments, even those
that you will quite never meet on air from here during contest times.

The last note. Nobody was sleeping at the 10m post here, how I could say that?
Just because we haven't done the WPX in MM, but M2. Not only for that and I am
pretty sure, think:  he would have waked up all the other operators just
snoring. Bad boy.

                               TU to all of you, CU in RTTY (and not only!)

PS just a personal point, yesterday night when I was going out from the IQ1RY
premises with such a big trash container to get rid of it a Police car stopped
by. They quietly asked me who I was and what I was doing. The answer was
plainly “I am a Ham radio operator, my name is …. (*) I am just getting rid
of the trash after a two day of continuous effort”. Well they understand the
whole thing, recognized my role and position as they are ours neighborhoods, a
simple salutation at the 2 AM, with my thanks for theirs efforts.
(*) I didn't even tried to say my callsign … This is the last picture from
IQ1RY 2011 WPX days.

IQ1RY Team