[3830] ARRLDX CW VE4EAR SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 20 18:00:48 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  655   295  Total Score = 579,675

Well conditions were up and down throughout this one. Each band had its moments
of amazing propagation and others of pure misery. Prior obligations meant I
missed a lot of prime day time 20/15/10m action on Sunday unfortunately.

10m opened N/S to deep South America and with periods in zone 8. Did hear a VK3
on 10m late Sunday afternoon but he was in the noise and non responsive to a few
calls.

15m was a big disappointment. Over 100 fewer Q's than last year with Europeans
barely detectable. On Saturday 15m opened suddenly and briefly to Europe and
then it was gone. Late on Saturday 15 did offer excellent conditions to Japan.
Not nearly as strong on Sunday.

20m was typical 20m.

40m was not great to EU Friday night. Since everyone was calling, the
proverbial east coast wall was well entrenched. Reasonable conditions N/S.
Saturday morning greyline opening to Japan was weak. while Oceania was very
strong. Saturday night, conditions to EU improved, or maybe it was just less
crowded, but it was more productive. Sunday morning I experienced the best
conditions I have ever seen to Japan just after my sunrise. True 5/9+ signals
from them with no auroral flutter. Short lasted but great while it was
happening. Now I can imaginge what the west coast folks experience routinely.

80m forme is always frustrating with high local QRN and an ever present AM
radio station intermod filling the band. The worst part is it is not local to
my station but blankets all of the southern part f the City. Friday night 80m
was not bad, not great but good enough to work a couple stations from EU.
Saturday night there was a 1 hour period where I worked more stations in EU
than I have ever before. I can only imagine how could it may have been if I
could have heard.

160m was fairly typical, nothing special.

Managed to work at least 2 six-banders, ZF2AM and PJ2T. great signals all
weekend from them.

Looking forward to the SSB event a couple of weeks. Lets hope the conditions
only improve.

Station Equipment:
Icom IC7700
THP HL-1.5kfx amp running 400W (100W on 160m)
20-10m = Optibeam OB11-5 @17m
40m = Force12 Delta 240@ 19m
80m = 1/4 wave sloper
160m = loaded 1/4 sloper