[3830] ARRLDX CW K3FIV SOAB(A) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 20 19:48:33 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CA CM88eu

Total:  332   110  Total Score = 109,560

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Flex-3000, 100 watts
Ant: 80M Carolina Windom at 12M high

All but a few Qs were S&P.  Not a good contest for 100 watts and a wire from a
non-rare location.  I tried CQing a bit, but got almost no response.  But it
was fun hunting and pouncing.  I used the opportunity to experiment with
settings for filtering spots and skimmer feeds, to get the bandmap loaded up
with mostly good spots - ones I could hear.  Of course 100 watts doesn't break
pileups, especially from CA to EU.  Still, I got through to some, including a
new country or two!

An observation about the spots and skimmer behavior....  I methodically scanned
the bands to see who I could work.  The strong signals were already identified
by spots, but there were quite a few weaker signals as well, with no spots.
These were almost always low power stations CQing - who turned out to be 100,
50, or even 5 watts after I worked them.  It seems that the Skimmers don't pick
up the weaker signals.  From my QTH on the CA coast, this included a lot of JAs,
as well as stations like T30YA, P29CW, a YB3, several VK/ZLs, etc.

I heard a lot of EU, but most of them couldn't hear me, even in the clear.
Signals from EU didn't seem as strong as you'd expect - especially compared to
the PJ gang who were booming.   Good ears on some EU stations though, whose KW
signals were rather weak at my RX, but somehow they could pull out my 100 watts
with my wire!

Even 10 was looking better!

73,
/Jack de K3FIV