[3830] ARRLDX CW K9MMS SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 20 21:40:36 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  852   293  Total Score = 748,908

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K3 at 100 watts ; Win-Test for logging

Before the contest, I was undecided about running LP or HP.  I started with LP,
and since conditions were mostly good Saturday, I just stayed with LP for the
whole contest.  I missed a few new countries on 160 due to running only 100
watts.  On 160 meters, I worked more countries with LP in this contest than I
worked using HP in the recent CQ DX 160 CW contest (32 versus 29).  Better DX
participation?

High noise level Saturday night made it more difficult on 160 meters.  On
Sunday, experieced very heavy precipitation static at times due to freezing
rain.  That made it almost impossible to hear signals on 20 meters during
several time periods -- when it was prime for EU runs.  Around mid-day on
Sunday, I shut down for a while due to thunderstorm and lightning activity.
Due to weather conditions, I experienced very high noise levels off and on
during daytime on Sunday.

First day spent 98% in S&P mode.  A couple of CQ runs on Sunday.  Spent 78% of
total operating time in S&P mode.  Missed goal of 1000+ QSOs and 300+ mults due
to much worse band conditions on Sunday and not being able to sustain more than
a couple of good CQ runs.

Thanks for the Qs and Ms.
73,
    Gary