[3830] ARRLDX CW W1WEF SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 21 07:52:27 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

Total: 1579   240  Total Score = 1,136,160

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I didnt want to sit in the chair too long as I'm recovering from an acute  back
problem. This is one of the contests I normally really  look forward to, but
aside from the back problem both of my 80M antennas were down at the start. I
decided to just see how it went but it was tough not to stay in the chair  when
enjoying terrific runs, great conditions, and loving my "new" radio.

All I did was RUN, no S&P. I got more comfortable with N1MM Logger but still
miss some features of CT.

Murphy struck three times  with a brief power outtage, and at one point the amp
stopped keying. I decided it was so much better feeling loud with the amp, I
would  troubleshoot it and see if I could get it going. Fortunately I can work
on it in place, so I removed the 30 screws from the cover and traced the
problem to an intermittent standby switch. Once I got it working again by
switching it on and off, I just avoided switching to  standby again during OFF
times...an easy temporary  fix! The other event was due to extremely high wind
gusts causing my antenna to slip in the rotor and rotate  90 degrees off. Once
discovered,  I corrected for it by pointing it to Europe and moving the pointer
on the Yaesu rotor box in the right direction. I'll have to get that bolt back
in the rotor thru the mast one day.

Three TH6's single 108 ft Rohn 25. XM40 at 116 ft. Broken 80 4 square that I
used with high SWR for a few Qs.
160 Inv L that I was surprised stood up in the wind.
FTDX5000 (did I mention I love it?) , AL1500.      JACK W1WEF