[3830] ARRLDX CW W1MU SOSB/80 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 21 09:19:25 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1MU
Operator(s): W1MU
Station: W1MU

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: FN53

Total:  416    79  Total Score = 98,355

This was a low-key effort with a simple set-up and, as always, was lots of fun.

On Friday night 80M was not in great shape to Europe, with no QSO's at all with
the northern countries (OH, LA).  Contacts with SM and OZ stations were rough
and signals were way down.  By Saturday evening things were much better.  Great
presence from UA & UR but didn't hear much from central Asia (4K, 4L, UN, UK).
Was called by UP2L but that was about it.  Lots of stations in the log with
power levels of 50-100 watts, so conditions were just fine.

Was hobbled by lack of an RX antenna for the morning short path so contacts
with JA, UA0 etc were minimal.  Managed to work a very few.  It broke my heart
on Sunday morning to listen to BU2AQ calling CQ after CQ but not be able to get
him to hear me.  He never got spotted here on the east coast and was pretty
lonely.  The recent inclusion of an APF feature in the K3 really worked wonders
on this - maybe next time I'll get to work him.  Great job by the guys at T30YA.
 Lots of activity from the Caribbean on both nights and there are some real
capable ops down there (V48M, 8P3A, ZF2AM).

Radio:  K3 & ACOM 2000A
TX antenna:  inverted vee with apex at 70'
RX antenna: single 2-wire Beverage, 92M long, using K1FZ boxes (oriented NE/SW)