[3830] ARRLDX CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 21 10:25:02 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

Total: 1785   392  Total Score = 2,090,928

I guess Murphy has nothing to do until St. Patrick's Day, so he visits
friendly hamshacks.  Thirty minutes before the contest I noticed that
the left-hand TopTen Band Decoder was selecting the 40 meter antenna
when commanded to be on 80m.  Made a note to always manually select
and double check antennas when changing bands.  A hard habit to remember
in the computer-driven age.

Next, just two hours into the contest the top 40meter yagi developed
a high SWR and the signals were many s-units below the little Cushcraft
at 61 feet.  Used the Cushcraft the rest of contest.  Saturday aftenoon
the top 15 meter antenna developed the same symptoms, so had to rely
on the bottom antennas, too.

Finally, Murphy had a few of his friends over to celebrate the
big thaw - playing with chain saws outside my window and racing their
ATVs up and down the road.  I guess it's a rule that chain saws and
ATVs don't have mufflers and quiet spark plugs.

I didn't get my usual pre-contest nap.  I had removed my wire 160 meter
antennas and the beverage system in anticipation of the big ice event
the beginning of February.  I had laid them on the ground in a hurry
and they were buried under 2 to  3 inches of solid ice until Thursday,
and it was dark when I got home then.  So, Friday I had to untangle
everything and rehang them.  They seemed to work ok.  Lots of signals
were pretty easy copy on 160 this year.

Ten never got going here, and 15 was a disappointment again this year
on  Sunday; glad I worked what I did Saturday.

All-in-all, had enough fun that I'm looking forward to the phone
contest in a couple of weeks.

      Continent List  2011 ARRL DX CW N4TZ

                   160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --   ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0
  VE calls    =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0
  N.A. calls  =     17    23    26    33    23    22   144
  S.A. calls  =      6    12    20    28    32    24   122
  Euro calls  =     48   133   261   642   277     2  1363
  Afrc calls  =      2     7    11    10    14     6    50
  Asia calls  =      0     1     3     5     2     0    11
  JA calls    =      0    14     4    24    18     0    60
  Ocen calls  =      2     8    12     4     7     2    35

  Total calls =     75   198   337   746   373    56  1785