[3830] ARRLDX CW VE7CC(@VE7SV) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 21 14:29:17 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE7CC
Operator(s): VE7CC
Station: VE7SV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC

   20:  827   100
Total: 2071   352  Total Score = 2,189,976

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

All the antenna work at the VE7SV station is paying off.  Thanks Dale.

QRN was so bad on 80 and 40 Sunday morning I took several hours off and slept
for a while.  When I got back on the QRN was mostly gone.

A special thanks to all the JAs who were in the contest.  931 contacts.

SO2R - 2x K3/Alpha 86

160 - 41/23  Worked one European, CR2X.  One day we will put up a beverage or
2.  Use Tx antenna for Rx.

80 - 286/67 Having 3 dipoles favouring different directions is nice.  19 Eu
countries worked.  Conditions ok, but not great.  No LP heard.

40 - 569/93 Amazing conditions.  34 European countries worked.  Huge signals
from Eastern Europe both SP and LP.  Many S9 +20 dB or even more.  Western
Europe not so good.  Missed EI, PA, LA, ON, GM, GW to name a few.  While
running JAs on Sunday morning a really weak AB5 kept calling.  Could never get
his call, but I didn't try too hard.  Decided it was time to see if any LP.
Turned antenna and first one in the log was A65BP.  Thanks for hanging in
there!  Also quickly worked 9K2HN and 4K6FO as well as several more common
countries.

20 - 827/100 Good but short openings to Europe both days.  44 European
countries worked.  Had same problem as several others.  The pileups grew so
large that the rate really fell.  It was not possible to work more than 100 per
hour in spite of gigantic pileups.  I have never seen pileups like this before.
They were almost all on the same frequency.  Very unruly.  You had to get a
complete call or everyone would keep calling.  No use asking for a partial
call.  Later on when it died down it was possible to get rate back over 200 per
hour for short bursts.  Then it stopped.  It was like I had worked everyone.  I
tuned around and heard many loud Europeans but got almost no answers to my CQs.
 Had to resort to S&P.

15 - 319/53 Poor opening to Europe.  A bit of a noise level in that direction
didn't help.  I am sure if it was quiet it would have been possible to work
more.  4 European countries worked, including OH8X at 2200Z.

10 - 29/16 Band finally opened up a bit Sunday just before noon.  Think many
had left 10 by that time.  Worked several Caribbean, but could have worked more
if there was activity.  No hope of working Europe.

Lee