[3830] ARRLDX CW K0DQ(@WW1WW) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 22 06:22:33 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K0DQ
Operator(s): K0DQ
Station: WW1WW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH

   40: 1266    96
   20: 1532    94
Total: 4376   454  Total Score = 5,957,388

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Incredible weekend.

Matt, KC1XX, graciously set me up with Woody, WW1WW, to operate his station in
the NH woods.  It was a marriage made in heaven. . . CW contester meets Phone
DXer!

Even with several feet of snow on the ground, Woody was incredible in
augmenting his killer DX station with added flexibility for SO2R contesting.
That included building (!) a great log periodic for (mainly South) multipliers
(10/15/20), adding a separate 80 antenna, additional amps, new IC-7600s, and a
last minute second feed line to the rotating tower with the 10/15/20 stacks for
SO2R.  Watch this space!

Overall, very satisfied with effort, especially given I saw the station for the
first time on Thursday.  Not surprisingly, most of the challenges were between
the operator’s ears â€" literally and figuratively.  My right ear
mysteriously lost about 40 db two years ago (middle ear is essentially an
insulator) complicating SO2R.  Only hardware issues were loss of power for 5
hours (but Woody’s big generator resulted in only losing about 40 minutes
total off air) and a strange SO2R audio mixing  issue which resulted in major
volume control twisting and resultant fatigue (and effect on multipliers).
Also had never used ICOM radios, but the IC-7800 and 7600 played very well and
were intuitive on basics.

Beyond that, the station played magnificently.  3L 40 was a death ray into
Europe and high band stacks also played exceptionally well on 20 and 15. Worked
only a handful of Europeans on 10, all on the south antenna.  Stacks are on
rotating tower and never felt it was worth losing the 15/20 European runs by
bringing the big 10 further south.

Conditions obviously much improved overall.  Only surprise was non-appearance
of 40 meter opening at European sunrise on Sunday.

All in all, a very enjoyable time.  At 66, was pleased to be able to put 43
hours in chair and still feel reasonably good at end.  Thanks again to Woody
for his superb hospitality and infectious attitude toward things radio.  The
magic continues!