[3830] CQ160 CW WX3B Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 30 09:30:38 PST 2011

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 465  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 48  Total Score = 161,976

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Tried to cherry pick the right times to operate this contest and have maximum
fun.

Friday night was fun in an unexpected way:  the USA pileups and rates were
tremendous!

I could hear loud europeans as I tuned across the band, however it was
painfully obvious my signal wasn't making it across the ocean when I looked at
my skimmer reports.  On 160, even more than other bands there is a huge
disparity between an "average" station and an optimized one.

Saturday night was better with a few europeans answering my CQs.

Band was crowded wall to wall with signals and there was really no finding a
perfectly 'clean' run frequency unless you ran narrow filters.

The single band/mode contest concept is such a great one, I'd like to see it
for the other HF bands!

73,

Jim   WX3B