[3830] CQ160 CW N2WN Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 31 05:59:45 PST 2011

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Grainger County
Operating Time (hrs): 15:33

Total:  QSOs = 652  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 42  Total Score = 195,164

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I knew I wouldn't be able to make the start due to work this year, so plans were
just to see if I could land VP8ORK (as best I know was a no show, but did get
them on 40 and 30), 1A and T7 (neither heard)... Anyway it turned into a fairly
relaxed event here.

Friday night started out quiet, but QRN came up as a warm front moved into the
area (YEAH!). My short beverage is still damaged and looked around for
something to pass as an RX antenna to drop the background a touch. The beam
didn't help, nor the 40M delta, nor the 80M dipole... Hmmmm, well there was the
feed line to a temp antenna that snaked down through the floor, out around the
building on the ground, twisted back on itself and was draped over the porch
railing... What the heck, I'll try it... plugged it into the rx jack of the K3,
screwed it down, put the headphones on and nada, pretty dead, so started to
remove it and as soon as I unscrewed the shield, POW! BIFF! BAM! no, or minimal
QRN, and the DX just popped out of the noise. Not sure what the arrival angles
were, but DX was great, and close stuff was almost inaudible (took a while to
figure that out). Any how, I'm not sure I'd call this a BOG or short beverage
or what, but it played well and I'm not touching it until mowing season
starts.

Some DX was easier than others, left several DXCC on the table, JA, EA, ER,
UA9, EW heard but couldn't raise. EA was the surprise, usually easy enough.
Sunday AM was great to hear JAs coming through well after sunrise, but they
didn't appear to hear the US very well. Even the West Coast guys had
trouble...

It was nice to see the EU stations spread out way up the band. Below 1835 was
tough with stations 4 deep on virtually the same frequency, had the K3 cranked
down to 250hz to do surgical strikes. Noted a number of others commented on
loud EU stations calling CQ on the same frequency, but not hearing the US
station, it's an interesting phenomenon and I'm sure the same can be said on
the other side of the pond(s).

Missed ID and ND for WAS, heard ND a number of times, but not ID. Missed the
usual VE provinces, and timing musta been wrong for VE4 and VE9.

Great TCG turnout...

Nice to work a bunch of friends and have some fun on the Top Band.

73,
Julius
n2wn