[3830] CQ160 CW K1DG(@N1LI) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 31 10:05:26 PST 2011

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K1DG
Operator(s): K1DG
Station: N1LI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Maine

Total:  QSOs = 1503  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 69  Total Score = 915,035

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Congrats to K3ZM, VE7ZO at W8JI/W4AN, and fellow "Mainiac" K8PO for terrific
scores.

I never really got untracked in this one. Had a very slow start and could not
keep find a frequency that was clear in Europe for the first several hours. It
sounded very crowded over there.

By sunrise, I was more than 25% down from last year's half-time score at 511k,
100 QSOs behind and way down in countries (62 vs. 70). Only two hours over 100
QSOs (vs. 3 last year, and 6 in the 2009 magic year).

I considered calling it quits, but then figured maybe everyone else was having
the same problems, so I decided to hang in for the rest of the contest. I set a
goal of reaching 1M points, which would take about 1700 QSOs and a good recovery
on multipliers.

It didn't happen. I just kept falling further and further behind the 2010
score.

No JA this year. Someone told me that JA5DQH was calling, but I could not
detect anything from Aki. Heard, but did not work SV9, UN, 7Z1, and IS0. Never
heard Idaho or VO2.

On the plus side, I installed a new temporary 2-wire Beverage for NW/SE, and
though it is a bit short at 250 feet, and is noisy (probably due to a poor
ground connection and no feedline decoupling) it seems to have a good pattern.
It pulled out a few dozen stations (mostly Western NA and some PYs) that I
could not copy on the transmit array or the NE/SW Beverage. I will work on the
grounding and make it permanent this summer.

Nice to be called by A73A, ZS6EZ, several UA9s, and many friends all over the
world.

See you next year!

73,

Doug K1DG