[3830] IARU WX3B M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 10 07:44:04 PDT 2011

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B,KB3CS,N8IVN
Station: WX3B

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MDC

  160:    0      0      0       0
   80:    4      5      2       5
   40:   52    149     16      18
   20:  271    553     27      40
   15:  259     25     19      16
   10:   29     32      8       4
-------------------------------------
Total:  615    764     72      83  Total Score = 753,145

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A last minute vacation plan change permitted an entry into this EXCELLENT
contest.

Congratulations to Steve NY3A for his expert single-op un-assisted, no packet,
no skimmer entry.  He was having a great time every time I tuned across him.
It also sounded like team NN3W at N3HBX enjoyed the event.

My original plan to operate for 4 hours and compete with NY3A (he won) for
those 4 hours got expanded because of interesting band conditions and help that
arrived with Dennis N8IVN and Chris KB3CS in the evening hours.

15 meters was suprisingly productive in spite of the fact that the CW skimmers
didn't hear me very well.

20 meters is usually the story at WX3B and this contest was no different.
Those afternoon openings just rock and the pileups were fantastic, on both SSB
and CW.  The band was always open somewhere, and it did serve up a few good
surprise DX contacts.

You can tell from our scoer that I was more interested in DXing than
contesting, and I enjoyed the superb lack of noise by staying on 20 meters
rather than going to the low bands.

Many thanks to all the station hosts of the HQ stations, that tirelessly CQ for
hours on "off" bands.  How about TM0HQ's 10m SSB signal?  20db/9 at times!

Then there was GR2HQ's 75m SSB signal...just rock solid at 30db/9 with their
4-square TX antenna.

Now my request for this contest:  Let's see a M/2 and M/M entry class!

73,

Jim   WX3B