[3830] IARU K7IA SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 10 10:25:23 PDT 2011

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 12:39

  160:
   80:   18             2       4
   40:  197            22      15
   20:  319            21      30
   15:   45     3       8       5
   10:    2     1       1       1
-------------------------------------

The delay in the annual "monsoon" season produced unusually clear skies and high
temperatures during this year's IARU weekend.  While thunderstorm threats were
low, these conditions really tested our off-grid homebrew photovoltaic system's
capabilities, as it powered all of the household loads, heat-producing linear
amp, evaporative cooler, and water well pump.  High ambient temps are no friend
of solar panels--not only because refrigerator/freezer loads are greater but
also because of reduced photon-to-electron conversion efficiency.  Still, it
was great to see that the equipment could keep up with load demand, in daytime,
that is.  Nighttime ops required converting some diesel fuel into electrons to
keep the large battery (37 kWh theoretical capacity) happy.  While off-grid
solar electric may be more reliable than the grid (especially in our service
area during monsoon season), it isn't cheap, and it makes a 1.5 gallon linear
amp out of the question.

In every contest, I have to learn not to spend so much time in S&P mode, and
the IARU was no different.  I guess that says I'm more of a hunter than the
hunted.  There was plenty of activity in both approaches, and there was
unusually little difficulty finding empty spots to run.  Both S&P and Running
rates were both steady and good, making for a lot of enjoyment.

The only glitch was N1MM tried to log every VE3 as Zone 3, so it's always worth
paying attention to those automatic fills!

Thanks for the QSOs.  I enjoyed running into many contesting friends and taking
the time to say howdy.

73, dan