[3830] IARU N1LN M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 10 18:20:56 PDT 2011

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): EA5DFV, W0UCE, N4GU, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC-08

  160:    13     0      4        3
   80:   152    12     16       19
   40:   382   318     26       32
   20:   421   439     28       41
   15:    73    51     16       24
   10:     8     0      4        3
-------------------------------------
Total:  1049   820     94      122  Total Score = 1,200,744

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As I have already read from other reports, conditions were not exactly the best
this weekend.   All week long I was watching the weather reports and wondering
how much time we would lose because of the forecasted lightening and
thunderstorms.  Mother nature cooperated, made a last minute change to the
weather and life was good.  Well, not really.    The propagation gods were not
listening until about 2100 UTC on Saturday.  It was like a switch was turned
from off to on and  20 meters finally opened.    We had been able to work
Europe all day, but the percent of stateside Qs from 2100 UTC on dropped big
time.   We also either missed the 15 meter opening or by the time the
conditions changed it was too late.  Our final Q count on 15 meters would end
up 64 percent below 2010.    Fortunately that would not be the story for all
bands.   When we finished our 2011 Q count was 5 percent below 2010.   However,
our score was higher due to both an increase in multipliers, up from 208 to 216,
and an increase in points per QSO, up from 2.75 in  2010 to 2.97 in 2011.  This
increase was due to an outstanding job by the team on both 40 meter SSB and CW,
where we increased the Q count by 43 percent.    Additionally, based on a couple
of already submitted multi-op results, we also might have spent too much time on
SSB.  Our Q count ended up 56 percent CW and 44 percent SSB while there scores
were both above 81 percent CW.  Perhaps something to think about for next
year.

OK, so much for the statistics.   Well, almost anyway.  One very important
statistic of our multi-op events is the FQ, or Fun Quotient, where we once
again scored very high.   I would like to thank Jose, EA5DFV, for joining us
while visiting relatives in the US.   His visit with us started on Thursday
night at the PVRC NC east meeting with a very interesting presentation about
his Multi-op contesting experiences on the Canary Islands.   Jose, one of the
operating positions is always open for you when in the US.   I would once again
also like to thank Jack and Mike.  Together the four of us had a fun weekend,
made a few Qs, shared many stories and had some good food.  Oh yes, what would
a contest weekend be without Chef Archie?  Well, once again Archie was in
charge of Saturday night’s dinner and it was outstanding.   The focal point
of the dinner was steak sandwiches with mushrooms, cheese, onions, hot peppers
and a few secret ingredients.   This was not just your basic run on the mill
steak, but hand selected and special cut by one of the local butchers.   Well
done ARCHIE !!  Oh yes, some wine and a few other  culinary delights also made
it to the table.

Thanks to all the stations that helped add to our weekend of fun.  Thanks to
patient operators that hung with us through the QRN on 80 and 160 and the
frequent requests for repeats.   The log will be uploaded into LoTW in a few
days.  Our next team event will be NAQP CW.   Hope to hear you all there.

In closing, I agree with WX3B that it would be great to expand the classes of
the IARU to include M2 and MM.   If not MM, at least M2 would be nice.

73,
Bruce, N1LN