[3830] IARU VK4CT(VK4EMM) SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jul 12 05:24:28 PDT 2011

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VK4CT
Operator(s): VK4EMM
Station: VK4CT

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: QG62LR

  160:     0     0      0       0
   80:    52     0     13       5
   40:   556    21     37      22
   20:   409    22     32      26
   15:   215    71     23      16
   10:     5     0      2       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  1237   114    107      71  Total Score = 1,122,290

An inspiring part of my weekend was to hear plenty of participation from VK and
ZL. The increasing activity and spirit of competition in Oceania adds to the
fun.

The frightening part of my weekend was the effect of very strong winds - all
weekend. Fortunately, the broken tree branches were not the ones holding up my
wire antennas.

I experienced mixed band conditions. 40m was the best with excellent openings
and runs to all continents. 80m provided good openings to NA and Asia - but I
was surprised to find only a few takers for the rare zone 55. As usual, 20m
provided a good balance of QSO's and multipliers for little effort. 15m was
below expectations for this part of the solar cycle, as was 10m. I tried and
tried on 10m for a return of only 5 CW QSOs. I just needed a small opening on
10m the reach a personal best for this contest - set in 2002 - but that was not
to be.

When this solar cycle gets moving, we can expect records to tumble - given the
increasing levels of participation and spirit of competition.

73 John
VK4CT / VK4EMM