[3830] NAQP RTTY KB4KBS Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Jul 16 22:27:03 PDT 2011

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: KB4KBS
Operator(s): KB4KBS
Station: KB4KBS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ROSWELL, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 10 HRS

   15:    4     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  194    90  Total Score = 17,460

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC

Comments:

First time in a while to really dedicate to a contest from home.  G5RV did well
considering that one leg broke loose a few weeks ago and is now moored only 15'
AGL.  I was worried about the radio as it hasn't been worked out in a while with
the demanding duty cycle of a RTTY contest, but it did fine.  I did 95% running
during this event - something that I'm still having to force myself to do.  I
ran unassisted, and that was a help - not seeing all the mults I was missing
made it easier to stay in one place.
I had a recurring problem through out the event - N1MM kept crashing.  Some
kind of "unhandled exception" error I think.  I'm sure it was because I click
in a wrong place or tried to do something while transmitting that made it
hiccup, but I would hope that the software would be more robust than that.  I
was using FLDigi becuase I am more comfortable with the waterfall appearance
versus the scope-like view of MTTY.  Maybe there is an issue with those two
programs meshing, anyway, I ultimately had to reboot the computer to get it to
calm down and behave.  This took the better part of 20 minutes, so I just
chilled for an extra 10 and made it a 30 minute "sit by the side of the pool"
break.  I took another 30 minute break earlier to assure my wife I still loved
her -  that was a "planned pit stop" the computer reboot obviously was not.
Finally, I set a goal of 30 Qs an hour.  It seemed like a modest aspiration,
but I really never got there.  With the software issues and poor operating
choices, My best hours were only a 26 and a 27.  My worst hour, from
03:00-04:00z was only 5 Qs (and the aforementioned reboot).  I think I did OK
on the band switches...I went early it seemed, but it allowed me to stake my
territory.

Thanks to all for the contacts,

Scott, KB4KBS