[3830] CQWW VHF K9JK/R Rover LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jul 19 05:47:05 PDT 2011

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K9JK/R
Operator(s): K9JK
Station: K9JK/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 7 Grids - IL & IA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  146   102  Total Score = 20,502

This was an IllinIowa Rove where I covered the SE and NW corners of EN40; EM49
EM59 EN40 and EN50 (in Illinois) on Saturday, then EN30 EN31 EN40 and EN41 (in
Iowa) on Sunday. And it was HOT (though not as bad as other parts of the
country) and I definitely appreciated that the R-134 and all the A/C components
were working well in my 10 year old Ranger-Rover...now if only it didn't gulp so
much of that 'black gold' derivative (emphasis on 'gold' nowadays); it drank
about 50 gallons for 750 miles of driving...gasoline cost > $1 per QSO.

It was like two different contests on the two days - Saturday was a "VHF"
Contest with good activity on BOTH bands, 36 Qs on 6 and 49 Qs on 2, while
Sunday was a "6 meter" contest, 55 Qs on 6 and only 6 Qs on 2. I *may* have
missed some early morning tropo to the NW from SE Iowa up into Minnesota and
the Dakotas (possibly even VE4) but I was VERY late arriving at my overnight
stop (after 11 pm) and VERY tired after Saturday's driving and activity so I
was NOT up when the rooster crowed.

Unique Grid Counts were 34 on 6 meters and 16 on 2 meters, along with 19 or 20
states (not sure if AB1GF/R was in VT for FN33) plus 1 province on 6 meters and
6 states on 2 meters. (That should have been TWO provinces but I just had to
much trouble getting the call correct from a VE2, then he faded before I could
get his Grid...MY bad).

Thanks to CQ Magazine for their sponsorship and CQ WW VHF Contest Director W1XX
for his efforts to keep this contest going!

Thanks also and to ALL who were on and especially to those who I was able to
work from the Ranger-Rover.

73, JK