[3830] IOTA K9NW(@K9UWA) SO24Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 31 16:37:31 PDT 2011

                    IOTA Contest

Call: K9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: K9UWA

Class: SO24Mixed HP
QTH: Indiana

   80:   23       10       2       2
   40:  137       49      32      14
   20:  269       59     112      44
   15:  143       38      73      24
   10:    0        0       3       0
Total:  572      156     222      84  Total Score = 1,510,560

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I got spoiled by operating from an island last year (ZF2JT) so some
recalibration was in order.  Straight out QSO rate was mostly sacrificed in
favor of finding island QSO opportunities - and their 15 pts/QSO.

Condx in NE Indiana were a bit challenging....sometimes pretty good, other
times not so much.  I was hoping for 20m to be open over the pole all night but
that was not to be.  So I took several long breaks in the middle of the night
when there just was nobody new to work.

Late in the afternoon I took a peek at 10m to see if there were any South
American stations to work and stumbled across a pileup, which turned out to be
for ST0R.  So I took a few minutes out of the contest to work them.

One of the 12 hour categories probably makes more sense for operating this
contest from the US, but the DXer in me takes over and I enjoy trying to find
all the island expeditions.  I'd miss too many if I had to leave half the
contest on the table.

Thanks to RSGB for sponsoring this fun event and thanks especially to all the
IOTA expeditioners who go out and activate all the neat places!

73, Mike K9NW