[3830] AlQP W4NZ Mobile Multi-OpCW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 6 19:02:10 PDT 2011

                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W4NZ
Operator(s): W4NZ
Station: W4NZ

Class: Mobile Multi-OpCW LP
QTH:

--------------------
Total:  989     0  CW Mults = 47  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 92,872

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

K4VIG and I were pleased to have Brad WF7T join us for this year's QSO party.
Brad had never operated a QSO party from the mobile side before but now I think
he's hooked.

Our setup consisted of two Hustler antennas mounted (one forward, one aft) on
the roof of a 1994 Chevy Astro van, an Icom 756proIII and a Dell laptop running
N1MM Logger software.

Our route covered 24 counties and a total of 614 miles.  We had hoped to reach
28 counties but the van overheated with a half hour left and we lost another 30
minutes trying to get the 80m antenna to work. Early on, 20m was the only useful
band but even so we were not able to generate the large pileups from Northeast
Alabama.  Things did pick up around 2000Z when 40m became productive.  Both 40
and 20m remained useful right up to the end.

In our travel we had a chance to observe up close some of the devastation
caused by the recent tornadoes. Our hearts go out to those who have been hit.

QSO leaders:

N8II(27)
NT2A(26)
W0BH(24)
N6MU(20)
W7FB(20)

special mention: DL3DXX with 18 QSO's

There were many stations with QSO counts in the teens. Thank you all for riding
along with us. Thanks to the Alabama Contest Group for all the hard work in
organizing/sponsoring this party and again allowing us to come and play in your
yard.

73 from the W4NZ/m team,
Gary K4VIG, Brad WF7T and Ted W4NZ