[3830] ARRL June VHF AA8IA Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 12 21:47:58 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: AA8IA
Operator(s): AA8IA
Station: AA8IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN90QL East ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 13:16

    2:    4     3
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  176    94  Total Score = 16,544

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my second year operating this contest [in total mediocrity I might
add].  Last year I used a 40-10m parallel dipole up 25 feet on 6m.   This year,
at the last minute, I put up a 6m Moxon and rotated it by hand, which is always
fun if you're inside and the mast is outside.   I must have rotated the damned
thing 30 times.

I had a Diamond X300 dual-band vertical up for 2m/70cm.  A note to others --
don't bring a vertical to a VHF contest no matter what others tell you.

As usual, I really can't summarize what went on from start to finish.  It's a
blur.   Rest assured there were some notable moments for me though.   After 6m
activity dwindled Saturday I took down the Moxon and put up the 2m vertical.
I barely heard K2LIM on 2m late Saturday night and the op actually heard me.
It took many exchanges to complete the Q.   I was shocked [and appreciate] that
he didn't give up on me.   I don't know who the actual op was, but he's A1 in my
book.   I heard a handful of other stations on 2m around the same time and
worked the ones i could [which were in my grid square].   I heard K8GP and a K1
but didn't even bother.

Saturday on 6m was great.  I was glad to get T48K and VP2/K8LEE.   I only
worked 3 VEs, and only heard one other VE during the whole contest period.

For giggles, on Sunday morning [after i swapped 2m ant for 6m ant] I rotated
the Moxon towards New England, and lo and behold I picked up 8 or so new grid
squares from the W1/W2s.   That was a real treat, and I really appreciate those
guys being there because just prior to that I was ready to shut down and find
something else to do with the rest of my Sunday.

I made it across to the West Coast on both days, although Saturday evening was
better for that.  The south was booming in Saturday and noticably absent most
of Sunday.

I won't operate another VHF contest without at least a 2m horizontal gain
antenna.   My head was swimming with ideas while lying in bed Saturday night,
trying to think if I could cobble together a quagi early Sunday morning.   But
when I woke up my heart wasn't in it.

Time spent is what was reported by N1MM.  In reality, I spent many more hours
in this contest S&Ping and CQing into the great abyss for periods of time.

Thanks to all the ops that made for a really fun time.   Next year I plan to be
better prepared, and damnit one day I'm going to work some FM/FN guys on
6m/2m/440!