[3830] ARRL June VHF K9YC Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 13 11:04:32 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

    6:  87     47
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  87     47  Total Score = 4,089

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a single band effort -- I'm on the wrong side of the ridge to
have any fun on 2M and above. :)   Put in a lot of hours, but N1MM
screwed up the calculation.  I'd guess at least 18 hours.

Worked 21 states plus AB, including HI, MD, SC, GA. Picked up 13 new
grids, bringing my total to 172 worked since moving to CA.

Ran 550W, using the new Elecraft amp, which works like a dream.  Antenna
is a 4-el Yagi at 100 ft (which sounds high, except that it's 150 ft
below the top of the ridge to the east. :)

Activity was only fair -- VERY few rovers, very few grid expeditions --
and conditions were only fair. I'm in CM87, but I never even HEARD
anyone in CM88 or CM89, and there are some very accessible peaks in
CM88.  Likewise, a couple of big stations showed up Friday night from
DM05 and I worked them, but neither were heard at all during the
contest. I heard a rover from DM13 for about five minutes late Sunday,
but he dropped into a hole after W6YX worked him, leaving N6TU and me
both empty handed. There are supposed to be TWO grid expeditions in
CM93, but I have yet to hear either, and I saw no evidence that the big
one was even on the air for the contest.

The east coast and midwest had good prop for a lot more time that we
did, and to a lot more regions. And even when there was prop, it wasn't
great  -- although I worked a dozen or so stations east of the MS river,
they weren't very strong, and you had to be there at exactly the right
time to work them. CW activity seemed promising at the start, but fell
off quickly after the first dozen or so hours.

73, Jim K9YC