[3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 13 11:47:35 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM00UF STX
Operating Time (hrs):

    6: 1472   294
    2:   52    18
  222:   10     8
  432:   11     8
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1545   328  Total Score = 512,992

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Callsign Used : K5TR
         Operator : K5TR
 Default Exchange : EM00

    6CW       26          24         24       5
    6SSB    1478        1448       1448     289
    2CW        2           2          2       2
    2SSB      50          50         50      16
  222CW        1           1          2       1
  222SSB      10           9         17       7
  432CW        1           1          2       1
  432SSB      10          10         19       7

 Totals     1578        1545       1564     328

    Final Score = 512,992 points.

The station:
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/blanco/k5tr_station.html

 50Mhz - Elecraft K3  -  3cx800 amp (800 watts)
         7 element yagi at 75'
         7 element yagi at 30'
         6 element yagi at 25' fixed west
         2 phased vertical dipoles at 35' / 15'

144Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEM transverter - 3cx800 (800 watts)
         17B2 17 element yagi at 35'
         FO12 12 element yagi at 60'
         8 element yagi fixed south at 20'
         DB224 for FM contacts

222Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEM transverter - Brick (100 watts)
         15 element yagi at 38'

432Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEM transverter - Brick (50 watts)
         31 element yagi at 42'

(144, 222 and 432 are all using the same K3)

Once again thanks to K5OT for the use of his K3 radios and for
coming over a few days before the contest to help me work on
improving the 2 meter antennas a bit. Also thanks to K5AND for loaning
me one of his elecraft 6 meter pre-amps for the contest this year.
I think it helps a bit.  I did not have it last year but I am not
sure it makes a huge difference but at times it was nice to have it
in line.

Going into this contest I was not expecting much - I find that you have
to approach each VHF contest with that view - because it can be a
300 QSO weekend or a 2000 QSO weekend but you just never know. With the
huge increases in activity it is getting to where even on a bad weekend
it will be possible to make 700+ contacts. I figured that given how good
it was last year this year would be a dud. But I was wrong. Six meters was
very good for me again this year - it was not as good as last year but still
very good.  I
did not manage to work any of the cool DX - other than a few C6 stations.
I never seem to get the DX here - even when we are multi op and can use
spotting
assistance we just never seem to work much DX.  I think I was busy running
folks on Saturday when the band was open and never did dial through the DX part
of
the band.  And most of the times during the weekend when I did look for DX I
only heard a pileup but not the DX.  One of these years I will figure it out.
In about a week I am going to be the DX. I am going with W5OZI and K5AND to
PJ6
so listen for us on 6 meters and maybe on some of the HF bands.

Check out our website for more information.
http://dkhanson.com/pj6/

The high bands were pretty good Sunday morning out to the west but there were
only
a few stations to be worked. I did not hear much in the way of local rovers but
for
the most part I think they and I were mainly just busy on 6 meters and ignoring

the high bands.

All in all, great fun on the radio!

Thanks for all the contacts and all the fun.

Also congratulations to all the other stations that had a great time.
And to all the folks with huge scores.  That W5SXD LP score is outstanding!

I am sure that K5QE, NR5M, KC4PX and others will report some huge
scores as well maybe one of them or someone else made it to 2000 contacts
this year - looking forward to all the reports.

Rate Sheet:

HR    HR TOT CUM TOTAL  SCORE
--   ------ ---------  -----
18   43/25    43/25   0.00M