[3830] ARRL June VHF K8MM Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 13 14:17:46 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K8MM
Operator(s): K8MM
Station: K8MM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MI

  222:    9     6
  432:   10     6
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  223   116  Total Score = 28,072

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Nice to work and hear many MRRC guys in the fray.

There was a 6M great double hop opening out to the west coast on Saturday, and
good openings down into EL, EM, and western EN. Never heard anything out of FM
or FN on 6M.

I didn't have my voice keyer connected so I would call cq and run until my
voice would give out, then switch to cw for a while. I could have made a lot
more SSB q's as there seemed to be a bottomless pit of weak stations calling
with the occasional S9+20 signal for good measure. This was the first time I'd
run with a KW on 6 and high antennas. I did manage to work a few random meteor
scatter q's using WSJT very early in morning.  When I woke up Sunday I finally
hooked up the voice keyer and ran a couple of hours of slower rate than
Saturday until something in the converted SB-220 blew up. DX worked, C6, CM,
YS.

On the higher bands there was a conspicuous absence of stations as nearly
everyone was on 6 because of the great propagation into the late evening hours
both days. From Sunday morning until the end I ran barefoot with 100W on 6M and
30W on 2, 222, and 432. I never did get the 432 amp or the 1296 gear hooked up,
although I had good intentions, I just ran out of time. I managed to work
several stations down in the Cleveland, EN91, and K8MR was the weakest of all
except for 222MHz where he was 579, which is unusual.

See you guys in the CQWW VHF contest 0n July 16 and 17.

73,
Ian - K8MM