[3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 14 01:28:06 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: New Hampshire

    6:  18      4
    2:  28      6
  222:
  432:   8      3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  54     13  Total Score = 806

Intended QRP operation from the summit of Pack Monadnock in southern New
Hampshire became a battle against rain, leaves and poor terrain at a lower
elevation. While equipment performed well this was a frustrating logistical
failure with unending rain, a car breakdown and a locked gate to the summit
road.

Station Equipment

- Yaesu FT-817ND

- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna

- Excellent new tripod that extends to 8' height

- Homemade wire dipole for 6m constructed from SO-239. Fits in pocket and was
strung between trees with zip-ties.

- 12V gel-cell batteries (2)

Max power: 5 Watts

Day One was a late afternoon effort on Pack Monadnock. The gate was open so I
drove to the summit for an hour of satisfying operation and returned to the
base lot before 5PM to avoid being locked in. Rain was heavier than forecast,
so backpacking the station and operating outdoors longer hours on the summit
was not an option. Committed to the location, I continued operating from the
base lot in the evening with mixed results, especially on 432 presumably due to
wet leaves and terrain. Wind gusts toppled my antennas twice. I stopped at 2315
UTC with better hopes for summit operations the next day.

Returning to Miller State Park on Day Two I was horrified to find the summit
road gate locked! An eyeball QSO with a rover confirmed that the ranger had
called an early rain day in the morning and locked the gate. With drizzle
calling off a reasonable effort for a short hike to the summit to set up in the
open, I committed to fighting wet leaves and terrain from the car in the parking
lot.

The Miller State Park lot has good elevation at 1500' but is in a mountain pass
with steep, substantial elevation to the immediate north, and smaller Temple Mtn
to the south. I had good coverage southeast in FN42 and could work west into
FN32 and FN33.

2m performed well, though no DX. I heard 6m openings but could not take
advantage. 432 was dead, though I managed to get through to several locals.
Overall, OK results earned with effort.

I broke up dead periods by enjoying the other benefits of the high elevation
including _outstanding_ VHF Air band reception with my beam pointed west
directly into oncoming high altitude aircraft traffic and better than average
HF ute reception. I may return to this location specifically for VHF aircraft
monitoring.

Thanks to all, especially to those who aimed antennas to try for the extra band
or two. 73