[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 14 17:08:10 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K9AKS
Operator(s): K9AKS
Station: K9AKS

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: EN07
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  270   137
    2:    9     9
  222:    3     3
  432:    5     5
  903:
  1.2:    1     1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  288   155  Total Score = 46,198

Took my QRP Portable operation to North Dakota this year. W0BTW allowed my to
park on his land overlooking a reservoir just north of Valley City. Thanks
Greg. The weather was bad, but six was good.

During setup (Friday evening) and tear-down (Monday morning), the weather was
nice and the wind mild. Through most of the contest, however, the wind was so
strong I had difficulty holding the antennas in place (using the Armstrong
method of course), and on Sunday morning fairly heavy horizontal rain added to
the misery. I would liked to have done better on 144 MHz and above, but
controlling the antennas made it very difficult.  Besides, like many others, I
was drawn to 50 MHz, which was open much of the time.

I managed about 137 grids and 270 QSOs on six, both personal highs for me
running QRP in June. (When operating portable, I log by hand and fill out a
traditional dupe sheet--so my final score may change a bit after I find
misteaks!) The widespread openings kept the grids coming--in my first 120 QSOs
I worked 88 grids, an amazing Q/Grid ratio.  Then on Sunday afternoon, I
actually sustained a couple of runs calling CQ, a rarity for my 10 watts--one
to the Pacific Northwest and one to the Southeast during very intense openings.
 By Sunday evening I was still hearing a lot of stations, east, west and south,
but had worked most of them.

Overall, it was a good run and worth the trip (although my left arm would not
agree with that assessment!). QRP from home, EN41, in the July CQ contest.

73, Curt k9aks