[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 19 13:52:13 PDT 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands

Total:  QSOs = 35  Total Score = 296

35 contact only in nine hours through brutal QRN. It was nice to work G4AMT,
PY1NB, and VK3PA (for 34 points).  But a Q rate of on 2 per hour is not much to
boast about.  I was using my new Icom 7410 with a superb DSP improvement but
still with the 40m over 9 tropical QRN it every contact was a chore.

British composer and playwright in the 30's wrote about "Only Mad Dogs and
Englishmen Go Out in the Noonday Sun"...... which I think could be adapted to
include a line about "only crazy topbanders try to work DX on 160 during the
summer months"!

For those who have not heard it I quote a portion of Noel Corward's genius:

"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

The Japanese don't care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,

Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one,

But Englishmen detest a siesta,

In the Philippines there are lovely screens, to protect you from the glare,

In the Malay states there are hats like plates, which the Britishers won't
wear,

At twelve noon the natives swoon, and no further work is done -

But Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

See you all in the fall.

73,

Herb, KV4FZ