[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TOL Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Jun 23 12:36:01 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TOL
Operator(s): K1TOL
Station: K1TOL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN44vg

    6:  581   177
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  581   177  Total Score = 102,837

I did some analysis and found the following:
Good run of 242 qsos from 1800-2100Z, then the high QRN level at s5-8 level
from torrential downpours killed me.....48 qsos from then until midnight
(UGH----that just about ruined any chances of doing well).
Then got up Sunday AM at 1100Z . Had same QRN, almost now s9, from SW to W but
had none to South and 270 degs and further NW.
Picked up W1s and some VE3s and some W0s out Midwest.
Then, around 1300Z, the QRN became random as the rains stopped and the bad
generator started to whine less and less when the sun peeked out of the
drizzle.
>From 1300-1900Z had runs of 5/7/9/0s when the "random" QRN level subsided (I
could never tell when I would release the mic and the s-meter would read "S-0"
or "S-8"!!!  Was a "guessing game" as to when I could hear the signals calling
me back!!).
By 2000Z, I was hearing W2SZ working a slew of W4, W5, W7s----and just at noise
level here for a measley few in W5 & W0-land that I called over and over again
but never a reply from them.
So, on Sunday at 2055Z, I called it "a disaster" and turned rig off in
"abandoned disgust" for the rest of the Contest---FINIS

Between the awful QRN on Saturday, prime time.........and the "I can't hear
those guys in 4/5/0-land" later Sunday afternoon & evening, I put it down to
"Murphy's Law" redux (same experience during JAN ARRL contest when I started to
have QRN about 5 minutes into the contest------when for weeks and weeks, I had
had NO QRN at all----talk about unfortunate circumstances!!!)

As they say, bottom line, worst ARRL JUNE in 10 years:
581 qsos
177 grids