[3830] ARRL June VHF N6NB Single Op Port QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Jun 24 01:57:43 PDT 2011

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N6NB
Operator(s): N6NB
Station: N6NB

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: DM05sb
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   56    14
  2.3:   53    13
  3.4:   48    13
  5.7:   47    13
  10G:   49    13
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  654   186  Total Score = 295,740

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I operated QRP portable at 6,800' elevation in the Tehachapi Mountains, parked
in a car across the road from my beacon site, with no connection to the solar
panels or anything else there.  My power source was a small generator that I
bought at The World's Largest Retailer for $200 just for these QRP portable
operations.  If it had failed, Plan B was to run the car engine with an
inverter to power the antenna rotor and the Rubidium frequency reference for
the microwave bands.

This was my third time in QRP portable.  The major change this time was that I
set up a small (25') tower on a Christmas Tree stand instead of using antennas
mounted on a rover vehicle.  I put a 4-element Yagi for 6 on top of an antenna
stack that included a triband cubical quad for 2, 222 and 432 plus Yagis or
loop Yagis for 902, 1.2, 2.3 and 3.4 and a 2' foot dish for 5.7 and 10 GHz.  I
ran 10 watts maximum on all bands except 3.4 GHz (4 watts) and 5.7 GHz (8
watts).  There are photos of this setup in my ARRL soapbox posting, along with
a photo of a similar tower on a Christmas Tree stand that I used nearly 50
years ago (!!!).

Six meters was open to somewhere much of the weekend, but with 10 watts it was
mainly S&P.  Also, I devoted most of my time to the microwave bands and to
following the Southern California Contest Club rovers.  I worked them in nine
grid squares, usually on 10 bands.  Carrie, W6TAI, roved on a separate route
(mostly in the desert) and I worked her on 10 bands in nine of the 10 grid
squares she visited (we didn't make it on 902 when she was in DM24).  Thanks to
the SCCC rovers and to Carrie for so many Qs and mults on the microwave bands.

It was a really good contest.  It looks like my score is about double the
current record for June in the QRP portable category.

73,
Wayne, N6NB