[3830] NCCC Sprint KP2/K6VVA(@KV4FZ) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Mar 3 19:55:21 PST 2011

                    NCCC Sprint - March 4

Call: KP2/K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: St. Croix (RemoteI
Operating Time (hrs): .9

   80:  13     10
   40:  16     10
   20:   1      1
Total:  30     21  Total Score = 630

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Pretty much a bust tonight via remote, although mucho fun to work some BIG
SIGNALS from East of the Mississippi on 40m & 80m :^)  Very different hearing
my NCCC pals on the weak side vs. from Locust Peak !!!

V31AM called me with a big sig on 40m & 80m for an NS Q, but got QRM'd a lot by
EU calling (YU, ON4, PA0, UR2, etc.).  Maybe we should start an NS 'EU' chapter
event?

Several unfamiliar USA folks called but only sent 599.  When I asked for a
number, one just replied with 599 EE and the other said he was 'not in the
contest'.  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH ... VERY IRRITATING ;-(

I don't recall ever hearing John/K4BAI so loud from the West Coast before on
40m/80m as in KP2 - hi hi. Also very loud were N4AF, W4AU & K4MTI.  Overall,
participation seemed way down compared to a normal NS, and sorry I had to send
'239 sri 73' to a few callers I just could not pull out of the mire.  KE0G
tracked me down this time on 80m in KP2 and we connected AOK. Way to go & Tnx!

Took a few minutes away from the boredom of unanswered CQ's to give a (remote)
listen to both my Home QTH RF Hole and Locust Peak Remote signals down in KP2.
Very enlightening.  Surprisingly not too much difference on 80m, but 40m was
much louder from Locust Peak.  I'm starting to envision a Master Console here
at home with a bunch of 'Remote' Station interfaces - ha ha ha :^)

Hope to work some NS'ers in the ARRL SSB DX Contest this weekend as KP2CW if I
can resolve some remaining audio operational matters.  CW is my preference, of
course, but it's also time for more remote experimentation.

VERY SERIOUSLY, we need to do something about the digital and RTTY QRM which
has invaded the longstanding CW contesting spectrum.  That junk plus mysterious
carriers keying down between 035 and 045 are wreaking havoc.  There is no reason
why the digital/RTTY folks can't stay above 050.  The 035 +/- portion has
historically been recognized as the CW SPRINT and State QSO Party arena.  Plus,
it's like Vacantsville for the most part above 050.

73 & Tnx for the (remote) Q's & Mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust
Remote Contesting Advocate