[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2WN SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 6 16:32:27 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Grainger Co., TN
Operating Time (hrs): 15:46

  160:    9     9
Total:  448   233  Total Score = 313,152

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Mostly S&P, and spent more time than planned, but what can you do when 10M
presents such a great opening after years of drought??!!?? Saturday afternoon
was OK, but Sunday Morning was out of this world, new it was going to be great
when I found HZ1PS, running LP sitting all alone and a solid 59 AND made the
QSO first try. The band just kept getting better and better. OK, it was spotty
at times and areas would pop up and disappear, but listening to LP stations who
were significantly louder than most of the KWs was a treat. I tried running a
couple times and managed a few QSOs.

All the bands except 160 were better here this year. We had storms through
Saturday evening, a bit noisy, but 160 just didn't seem to be it's old self
here. Some stations who are usually "easy" never heard me, oh well!

I hope VP5H found TN on 10M, I looked and looked but never heard him.

Kinda bummed that it was a DX contest, think I could have finished WAS finally
on the band. Never heard KL7 or any JAs, but much of the rest of the world was
workable.

Didn't work many QRP stations, and there wasn't much in the way of room for
them to run. F and TI were the only six band continents here.

Loads of fun at times and at others slow going. didn't hear any frequency
fights, considering the packed conditions it was really nice.

Propagation was interesting, it was one of those weekends when it would have
been nice to have vertical and horizontal polarization on all of the bands.
Something I will be keeping in the back of my mind for future antenna work.

Saturday was kind of a once in a lifetime event, got to pick over the bones of
an old broadcast station thas will be demolished soon. Kinda sad to see stuff I
would have died to have/use back in the 70s basically relegated to scrap.

Wild weather too! Rained for almost 24 straight hours, some very high winds,
and then a 20 degree F drop in temps, including a change to snow.

Very nice to run into so many calls on that I've not heard in a while on the
high bands. Lotsa Top Band folks on 10. See ya in the next one!

73,
Julius
n2wn