[3830] ARRLDX SSB V31AM(N2ZN) SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 6 18:47:38 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: V31AM
Operator(s): N2ZN
Station: V31MD

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Placencia

  160:    0     0
   20: 1450    59
   15: 1405    62
   10: 1220    54
-------------------
Total: 5348   283  Total Score = 4,525,170

Club: Rochester (NY) DX Association

Comments:

This is the fist time I have ever operated from a DX location.  It was
definitely an experience!  It was also the first time I ever did a serious
effort as a single op in a DX contest.  My hat is off to the guys who can do
the full 48.

I had originally planned to be SOHP, but the ALS-600 in the shack burned up a
few weeks ago and is out for repair.  Since I already had everything booked, I
decided to do SOLP instead of lugging an amp down here.  Never having operated
a contest like this before, I briefly considered chickening out and doing
single band (or assisted), but those thoughts disappeared quickly!  Even
without high power, there is no shortage of rate to be had from here.

Glad to see 10 open like it was.  Since I have a bad habit of being inactive
during cycle peaks, this is the most action I have ever seen on 10, ever.  Hope
to see this kind of action on 10 from the States in a few years-it is a long
trip to the Caribbean just to get 10 meter propagation!

The antenna situation didn't allow 160 energy to be radiated back to the
states, so no 160 QSO's.  A number of people asked, and I did try to call some
stations there, but let's face it; if LR and LPL can't hear you, then nobody
will.  80 worked better than I thought it would.

Great to work so many familiar calls.  From the DX side, this kind of felt like
working NAQP at times, but with a simpler exchange.

Thanks to my fellow RDXA members for the support on and off the air-it is lots
of fun to have your friends from home calling you.  Also thanks to W2FU and
N2PP for the tips on operating from the Caribbean, and also to W2FU for
providing a GH Radio Boss for use during the contest.

Station setup: TS-850 @ 100w, 2 element quad at 30' for 10/15/20, HF2V for
40/80/160, N1MM, Green Heron Radio Boss.

73, Ken N2ZN (V31AM)