[3830] ARRLDX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 7 06:17:47 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba

   40: 1038    59
   20: 1695    60
   15: 1430    61
   10: 2766    59
-------------------
Total: 7839   344  Total Score = 8,089,848

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Now that was fun! Two comparisons with the only other time I have done this
contest from Aruba, in 2009: (1) Then starting on 20 only resulted in 100 Qs
before having to QSY to 40; this year, the first hour on 20 netted 326. (2)
Then ten opened up only for about an hour, right at the end of the contest;
this year, it was open delightfully all day both days.  How nice to be able to
spread out and not all be crowded into 20 and 15.

The only contest off note was the great difficulty hearing (even with our very
good beverages) and being heard on 160, presumably due to the high noise
levels. Friday night was a horror, with probably fewer than 30 mults worked.
By dint of a lot of hard work on Saturday night I managed to get the mult total
into a respectable range but still missed many that should have been workable.
Thanks to the guys who successfully moved from 40/80 and also to the
considerably larger group that tried in vain.

Actually there were two other brief operating annoyances: A slow scanner
started cursing at me in particular and contesters in general using words that
would get him fired from a commercial radio station, then maliciously started
up right on my freq of 14226.5 to chase us away from their hallowed ground at
14230.  I was also blessed with a personal jammer on 10 for a while, who tried
heavy breathing and music playing, but fortuately got bored after a relatively
short performance.

The house looks great thanks to the recent efforts of Chris and JP, who put in
new ceilings, did internal repairs, painted, refurbished furniture, replaced
the old drapery, etc.  Thanks to both for their hard work.  Also thanks to
co-owner John (W6LD) and Ed (W0YK) who braved the cunucu (the public property,
full of cactus and thorny vegetation behind the house) to get our 160 antenna
and beverages redone for ARRL CW, so all I had to do was show up and operate
two weeks later.  Check out the place at www.arubaqth.com

Aruba was well represented in this contest, with P40V in M/S LP (AI6V and
W5AJ), and P40A (KK9A) QRP in his swan song from his sold QTH.  Even a short
trip allows for a great ham social life, including visits with Chris (P43C) and
JP (P43A), Carl (P49V) and Sue (P40YL), John (P40A), Joop (P43JB) and Yvonne,
Martin (P49MR) and Truus (P49TR), Lisandro (P43L) and Lissette, and Raul
(P43RC).  What a nice group!

Finally, thanks to all the US/VE hams for their enthusiastic participation in
this great contest.

Rig: K3, Pro2, Alpha 86, Titan 425
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, C31 (all Force 12), vert
dipole and 4 500-foot beverages for 160.

73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y