[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 7 11:45:55 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

Total: 1038   358  Total Score = 1,109,442

Managed to fix some of the problems that Murphy left after
the  ARRL DX CW weekend.  Made a new stack relay box to
replace the old Dunestar Stackmatch (made before WX0B
started his own company) which was the problem on 40m.
Fixed a PL29 which was making intermittant contact to
the stack relay box on 15m.  Found the problem with the
band decoder was a loose db25 connector - who knew that
those thumbscrews were meant to be tightened?!

Four hours into the  contest I look up and see the
prop pitch box is not indicating direction.  Find a
blown fuse.  The replacement promptly blows.  Fortunately,
it is facing Europe, but the 40 & 20 multiplier totals
will suffer from a lack of relatively easy Far East
and Oceania opportunities.  The QRN from the thunderstorms
was 40dB to 60dB over S9 on my 80m four square the first
night, and even with the beverages was over S9 with
18dB attenuation on the Orions from 160 to 40 all night.
I had to use the beverage to hear Europe on 20 Saturday.
The second night still pretty noisy here; the contest
ends here in daylight on Sunday, but I could hear much
better then on 40 & 80, and even heard a couple of
Europeans the East Coast wall was working at the end
of the contest on 160m.

As a result of the heavy QRN, I went to bed early
both nights, so probably missed a number of low
band QSOs that were there to be had when other guys
sleep.  The 10m opening to Europe on Sunday was nice,
but only added about a dozen mults to the total scraped
up on Saturday.

Once again, I worked my usual 1,000 S&P contacts, with
a total of 3 QSOs on 20 and 19 QSOs on 10 a result of
many, many CQ calls.

      Continent List  2011 ARRL DX Phone N4TZ

                   160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
  N.A. calls  =     14    31    28    35    42    30   180
  S.A. calls  =      6    11    20    67    58    66   228
  Euro calls  =      3    52    77   157   184    58   531
  Afrc calls  =      0     3     2     5     5    13    28
  Asia calls  =      0     2     1     6     4     1    14
  JA calls    =      0     1     5     1    30     0    37
  Ocen calls  =      0     2     5     0     7     6    20

  Total calls =     23   102   138   270   330   175  1038