[3830] ARRLDX SSB W0UA(@K0RF) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 7 12:23:26 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W0UA
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO

   15: 1043   106
Total: 2499   422  Total Score = 3,162,468

Another one in the books here at the K0RF Institute for Ionospheric Research and
Sleep Deprivation.  A couple of weeks ago Chuck and I are having breakfast & he
asks if I want to do the ARRL Phone Contest.  And I asked him just what kind of
sick individual he thinks I am.  But I forgot; he already knows that!
So, I say, sure, sounds like more fun than an emergency appendectomy.  And,
surprise, surprise, it really WAS!

Mr. Rogers: "Can you say Solar Flux?  Yeah, I knew that you could."  Those
soaring numbers surely hotted-up 15 and gave us a tantalizing peek at 10 Sunday
morning.  The flip-side was that 20 sounded "absorbed" here both days and wasn't
productive.  80 and 160 were down (from what's been "normal") but not out.  40
Meters was fantastic, featuring an amazing opening to EU on Saturday night
night that even allowed running EU for an hour with great signals. A nice
little shot of adrenaline, there.  Nice openings to JA both nights.  I made a
strategic error in not catching some off-time before the Sunday morning
high-band fireworks, hence I was sluggish when I needed to be sharp.  But
Monday morning quarterbacking is always easier than those real-time decisions!

Fun stuff:  Working my pal Wayne, K6ZSJ, from 3W7W on 40.  Sharing some laughs
with J88DR--thanks for the mults and your sense of humor, Dave.  Hearing K2TR
back on & cranking on 20.  Those 10 Meter Europeans!  Trying to make it on 10
with VK3GK, thanks, mate.  The H4 calling-in on 15 with 2 minutes left.
Breaking my "VU-curse" on 20.  Working VE7SV on 80 at CE4GT.  Working old pal
Al Couper at NH7O on 80, then K0SR drops-in & the Minnesota kids from the early
70's are together again for a minute, comparing notes & laughs.  We're older
now, but still into it, eh guys?  Jockeying for position with N7DD on 40--just
kidding Larry--what goes on 40 Meters stays on 40 Meters, OM!  To all the
wonderful, polite and competent JA's--thank you!  Operating from Chuck's with
the station performing flawlessly and with my lifetime-friend as consummate
host.  Life is good!

This WPX-thing coming up, it's a phone-thing again, right?  Just what kind of
sick individual do you think I am?  Never mind...