[3830] ARRLDX SSB LA9Z(LA5KO) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 8 13:46:16 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: LA9Z
Operator(s): LA5KO
Station: LA9Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lista JO38hc
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  846    87  Total Score = 220,806

Club: LA Contest Club

Comments:

I had planned to work SOSB 40m, but conds were so bad on Saturday I had to work
a bit on high band on Sunday to get some Qs in the log.
Very fun with some runs on 15m.
And finally something looking like a run on 40m the last couple of hours on
40m.
Is there a Single Op Two Band category ? :-)

It was a nice new experience to put up two phased Beverages for 40m.
On Saturday I thought it didnot work at all, - it made no difference on the few
big gun signals I could hear. The US stations were equally strong on the
Beverage to South America as on the new, phased Beverages.
On Sunday it was very different.  Much better S/N on the phased Beverages than
on the simple vertical I used for TX.
I suppose the poor results on Saturday was because the signals didnot come in
the normal directions due to the Aurora / absorption, - probably skewed to the
south.
The two Beverages were 69m long, spaced 21m and about 2m high.  Grounding was
probably mediocre due to partly frozen ground and using only one 3 feet CU rod
in each end.

15m was very fun, using the fairly new 5 ele OWA design Optibeam OB5-15 at 12m
AGL.

Thank you very much for calling.

73 de
Roy / LA5KO