[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 8 14:57:34 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG +PACKET
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: ALA

Total: 1021   406  Total Score = 1,243,578

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Conditions were very different (and challenging) from the CW weekend.

The Low Bands were quite Noisy but Signal Absorption to Europe was a greater
challenge to overcome on 160 and 80 meters.  I missed several easy multipliers
on 40M due to spending too much time on lower bands.

On the High Bands, 20 and 15 were quite good Saturday but few new stations
appeared Sunday morning.  Only CT and CU were worked on 10M from Europe on
Saturday.  The 10M opening on Sunday 'saved the contest' with lots of
interesting multipliers from Europe.  I thought my 61 countries on 10 was a
good showing but obviously others found WAY more.  Maybe I should have tried
CQing to 'draw in' more mults!  ALL QSO's were S&P or from Packet Spots.

I found myself with just under 1000 Q's and 400 mults with 2 hours left in the
contest so I jumped from 10 to 15 to 20 to 40 in the 2200 hour, picking up any
'fresh meat' (mostly JA's on 15 - they were weak on 20) I could find and
filling in some multiplier blanks. During the 2300 hour, I managed to work
YB8EL (he was weak but readable) on 15 after all the West Coasters had him
logged, then hopped to 20, 40, and even 80 meters at the end.

Phone Contests really wear me out.  I expect narrower filters would help some.

Icom 746 with cascaded 2.4 kHz filters (and Low Output on Low bands...)
B&W PT-2500 at 600-900 Watts output (depending on drive)
160M Inverted L to East, Elevated GP to West
80M  Elevated GP
40M  Two Half Waves in Phase (80M dipole/ladderline) NE/SW at 120 ft
.....Inverted Vee SE/NW at 60 ft
20/15/10  TH7 at 40 ft.

Tom N4KG in North Alabama