[3830] ARRLDX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Mar 11 20:41:57 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados

   40: 1666    60
   20: 1966    60
   15: 2112    60
   10: 2623    59
-------------------
Total: 9338   340  Total Score = 9,524,760

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Much different weekend than I expected

W2GD came down to help repair the 40 meter beam that was damaged in the
hurricane during CQWW SSB.  It turns out that the boom was broken two places
rather than just one, but it still stayed together long enough to take it down
in pieces.  After a couple of hot windy days, it was repaired and reinstalled.

After John left, I had a fair amount of repair work done on the corroding base
of one of my towers.  It seems much improved over its prior state.

With the work done, only the contest remained.  I was in Barbados by myself and
had a number of non-radio matters to attend to back home.  In the end, I did not
have a good night's sleep all week.

The contest got off to a good start but I was unusually tired the first night.
I eventually took a quick 10 minute nap to clear my head.  Lowband conditions,
especially 160, were way down from last year and exposed a weakness of the
station.  Barbados is the furthest away of the Caribbean islands and, as
sunpost activity increases, propagation on 160 to the US declines
significantly.  I finished the first night with only 31 mults on 160, and I
fretted all weekend about the 160 mult total.

Saturday found 10 meters open nearly all day, which was a great surprise, and
helped build the QSO total.  Saturday night was spent trying to close the 160
meter mult gap by frequent CQ'ing and many attempted moves, but it was of
marginal impact.

On Sunday, i knew I need to push the QSO total to overcome the shortfall on
160. After a slow morning, 10 and 15 became productive, but had a number of
slow periods.  At 2130Z I went to 20 and it was pure bedlam.  After nearly 46
hours, the rate became higher than any hour other than the first.  I was
clearly fatigued after two ten meter naps all weekend, and it took every ounce
of concentration and energy I had left.  I was clearly not anywhere close to
full mental capacity and I neglected to sign my call as frequently as I like,
generally at least once every three contacts.

When the contest was over, I was absolutely exhausted.  It was all I could do
to pack up, drive back to my house and take a shower.  By 1Z I was asleep

It would have been nice to have a better 160 meters, but it was great to have
10 back.  Missed a few workable mults on bands other then 160 as well but, all
things considered, a very enjoyable weekend

73 and thanks for the Q's and moves

Tom W2SC 8P5A

QSL via LoTW or NN1N